Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Safeway Shopping Trip

Well, no new entertainment coupons used so far this week, but I did score big at Safeway yesterday.

Safeway has a "Customer Appreciation Day" the first Tuesday of every month, where they offer you a choice of 10% discount or 10x Air Miles. I try to hold off buying staples until this day -- it's like having your own sale on stuff that normally wouldn't go on sale, and if you're buying something that is already on sale, then you get an even better deal!

Score of the day:  Advertised special was 3 Stayfree/Carefree products for $9.99 with a bonus of 25 Air Miles.  I had just enough $2.00 off Stayfree coupons, so:  $9.99 - $6.00 (3x$2)  = $3.99. That's like buying one on sale and getting two free plus the Air Miles bonus!

Part 2:  Now, I normally buy Honey Nut Cheerios, but I had a $1 off coupon for Oatmeal Crisp, plus it was on sale: reg. $4.99, sale $3.99 - $1.00 coupon = $2.99 which is a decent price for a 505 g box. The bonus is that General Mills has free Cineplex offers on selected cereals, and this one happens to be one of them :) ... which is why I thought it would be a good time to try this new (for me) cereal.  Free General Admission at Cineplex is about $10...so I've actually gained an additional value of $7.01!

Summary from my receipt:
club card savings.....$94.79 (including the 17.32 10% discount at the till)
coupon savings........$  9.50
Total savings value 41% .... $104.30
Paid amount ........$151.81
for 256.11 worth of groceries = not bad!

p.s. I took the 10% discount AND I earned 107 Air Miles, taking advantage of the promos for Purex bath tissues, Old Dutch snacks, J&J Stayfree, Primo pasta and the base 7 Air Miles.
 (That's why you always take the discount...I saved $17.32 and still got over 100 Air Miles!)

:)

p.p.s.  I was only able to shop like this because I left the BF at home!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment